Our History2018-08-20T10:35:17+00:00

Our Advantage

Edmonton Christian School educates students for joyful and responsible service to God and society. Because we believe that Jesus is Lord over all of life, our schools integrate faith, learning and service into the entire curriculum. The Edmonton Society for Christian Education was incorporated in 1946 by members of the Reformed Christian community as a non-profit charitable organization to further the cause of Christian Education. In 1949 the Society established an interdenominational Christian day school in Edmonton.

Facts About Us

As partners with EPS, the Society remains responsible for the following:
  • Funding the Christian program vision, perspective and content that makes Edmonton Christian Schools a unique alternative program
  • Preserving the integrity of the School’s Christian vision and mission. Elected Board members participate in all school staff interviews and new parent/student interviews
  • Teachers and Administrators are hired only with Board approval
  • Owning, maintaining and enhancing all Edmonton Christian School buildings, furniture and equipment
  • Owning and operating the school bus system consisting of 12 buses transporting more than 500 students to and from Edmonton Christian Schools
  • Jointly monitoring the program with Edmonton Public Schools

Our Timeline

We offer a distinctively Christian program that is an alternative program of Edmonton Public Schools (EPS). As a partnership between the Edmonton Society for Christian Education and the Edmonton Public School Board, we follow the Alberta curriculum and meet or exceed all Alberta Education requirements. This partnership enables Edmonton Christian School to keep program fees affordable while providing a strong, continuous Christian education program for our students.

2009

2009

Edmonton Christian Schools celebrated its 60th anniversary of offering Christian education and its 10th anniversary of partnership with Edmonton Public Schools.

2008

2008

Northeast School moved to 159 Avenue

2004

2004

The Society raised $1.9 million to renovate and expand the Senior High Campus in 2004 and $3 million to build a new Northeast Campus in 2007. The Society invested $600,000 for major renovations at West School in 2009-10.

1999

1999

The Edmonton Society for Christian Education and the Edmonton Public School Board (EPSB) signed a partnership agreement for the operation of Edmonton Christian Schools as an alternative program of Edmonton Public Schools (EPS). In accordance with this agreement, EPS provides the resources for the daily operation of Edmonton Christian Schools.

1994

1994

North and East Schools were amalgamated into Northeast School

1969

1969

North School operated at the Fort Road location from 1969 until 2008

1967

1967

The High School opened at our present site

1957

1957

Central campus moved from downtown to our present McQueen location and was renamed West School

1955

1955

East School opened in Beverly

1951

1951

Central campus, the Society’s first owned property, opened in downtown Edmonton

1949

1949

The Society opened Edmonton Christian School in rented space in the basement of a downtown Edmonton church with 20 students in grades 3 – 6.

1946

1946

Edmonton Christian Schools was incorporated by members of the Reformed Christian community as a non-profit charitable organization to further the cause of Christian Education.

Become a part of our history.

Support Our West School Building Project! Our goal is to raise $4M between September 17 and December 31, 2018 so that we can start building.

Donate Now
Learn More