Week Five – Creation Enjoying
SUMMARY: Students will celebrate God’s beautiful creation.
Students are encouraged to be curious about God’s world, to celebrate God’s incredible creation, and to develop the confidence to look at their environment with the joy of critical awareness. They will also celebrate the gift of having eyes to see, ears to hear, and hands to touch and create. Their study can give testimony to the presence of God in creation. People are also created by God. Education also tries to bring students to a better understanding of the human beings God has created.
Creation enjoying is looking at, talking about, studying creation. Ordinary things become extraordinary when seen in a new way. It is all about noticing and drawing attention to what there is to be seen in God’s world. Creation enjoying is helping to coax the “songs of joy” (Psalm 65:8) from ourselves and from our students. This beautiful creation is a gift. We all know how much fun it is when you give someone a gift and they really LOVE it; that is what it’s like for God when we and our students get out, live in and experience the gift of creation.
“Regardless of the season, how awesome is it that as adults we get to be tour guides who show our children God’s wonderful creation? When we view the whole world as God’s classroom, we get to encourage wonder in children. Using our creation-enjoyer senses, we see the eagle soar, touch a baby’s tiny hand, and feel the warmth of the sun on our faces. Children’s experiences point to the presence of our active Creator God. Creation-Enjoying helps kids understand also our responsibilities to creation and how people before us and right now are using, and maybe abusing, this beautiful world.”
Could be used for devotions or memory work.
The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
- We are to enjoy God’s presence and bask in his glory. This passage makes clear that we can find and enjoy God’s glory and power in the creation.
1 Timothy 4:4-5
For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving, because it is consecrated by the word of God and prayer.
Those living far away fear your wonders; where morning dawns and evening fades you call forth songs of joy.
- Have you ever seen a sunset, or a mountain range or a baby’s tiny hand that made you sing?
Other Passages to Ponder:
Genesis 45:18 – Joseph’s brothers are told to go to Egypt where they can “enjoy the fat of the land.”
Creating enjoying results in God Worshipping. We don’t worship creation, we worship the Creator
- Psalm 96:11-12
- Psalm 102:25
- Psalm 121:2
- Psalm 95:3-5
- Psalm 24:1-2
- Psalm 33:6-9
- Psalm 104:24-25
- Psalm 100:3
- Psalm 74:16-17
You can use these as part of your morning devotions or to play in the background during work.
Ideas that you can connect to the learning that is happening or encourage in your student’s free time.
- Do a “nature” themed digital photo scavenger hunt
- Take a drive (play car games)
- Visit a local geographical point of interest
- Go for a walk or bike ride
- Build a “natural playground” in your yard
- Explore Alberta, Saskatchewan & Manitoba
- Go fishing (check your local regulations)
- Camp in your backyard
- Try geocaching
- Save your local honeybees (#beethesolution)
- Find some frogs
- Plan a future family vacation
- Learn how to take better pictures – photo challenge
- Build a birdhouse and set it up in a good spot
- Play outside – family outdoor activity ideas
- Join eBird and start contributing to the database
- Grow a plant/garden (research indoor/outdoor options)
- Do your schoolwork outside
- Study your backyard bugs
- Have a picnic
- Fly a kite
- Take 100 pictures within a 10-meter space (appreciate the intricacies of God’s creation)
- Rainy day idea – Watch a planet Earth documentary
Digital books, devotion ideas, online resources, blog articles, etc.
- The Creation – Youtube poem (Div 1-4)
- God’s Beautiful Creation – Music video (Div 1-3)
- How a Seed Grows – Read Aloud (Div 1)
- The Listening Walk – Read Aloud (Div 1)
- The Boy and the Ocean – Author Read Aloud (Div 1)
- God Speaks to Man – Youtube (Div 2-4)
- Lessons from God’s Creation – Youtube (Div 2-4)
- God’s Masterpiece – Devotion
- How Great is Our God Tour – Video Devotion
- Exploring By the Seat of Your Pants – Live virtual field trips
- God’s Creation – Devotion
- How Nature Speaks to the Glory of God – Devotion
- God Is In Nature – Devotion
- Creation-Enjoyer: Be a Tour Guide – Blog
- Biologos – Faith & Science Website/Organization
- TFT at SFC: Creation Enjoying – Collection of devotions
FORMATIONAL LEARNING EXPERIENCES (FLEX)
These are experiences that connect our learning/work to real people/problems (to go beyond our normal classroom walls). These are authentic opportunities for students to practice living the Kingdom story.
Find a quiet spot somewhere outside where you can sit for a while. Spend some time in prayer and write down words that come to mind that describe the Creator. Spend some time sketching what you see (can be something close up or a landscape picture). Write down words that describe what you see, smell, hear and feel. Take your sketch and word bank and write a Psalm of Praise. Share your Psalm of Praise with someone (e.g., could be with the person you connected with during the Community Building week), ask your teacher if you could lead your classroom devotions or find a creative way to share it on social media.
REFLECTIVE QUESTIONS/SENTENCE STARTERS
It is said that we don’t learn from doing, but from reflecting on what we do. Give students time and space to reflect on their experiences and learning this week.
- How did/can you look at your environment with “the joy of critical awareness?”
- What does paying attention to creation teach us about the heart of The Creator?
- Why should we enjoy creation?
- Who is somebody that has taught you to be curious about God’s creation?
- When was a time you found yourself in awe of The Creator? Tell me about that experience.
- Where is your favourite Creation Enjoying place?
TEACHING FOR TRANSFORMATION (TFT)
RESOURCES FOR PARENTS & STUDENTS – Provided by Prairie Centre for Christian Education